Tuesday 21 April 2009

Rain and holidays

Today after the match between Rajasthan Royals and Mumbai Indians was abandoned due to rains, I kept wondering if the cricketers were jumping with joy. Its quite hard to imagine those guys jumping with joy, yet imagination has no bounds.I mean that is exactly what I would do, given the situation. I did three years of my schooling in Kalakshetra (as a hostel student) and it is extremely difficult to get a day off under the probing and watchful eyes of our wardens. Rains bring in the much needed relief from the mundane activities like going to school and doing homework, since we had classrooms with thatched roof...yeah you read it right!

If you thought I would grow up after becoming a professional then you are definitely wrong. Just a couple of months after I started my first job, it poured cats and dogs in Chennai. Well Adyar was not quite drowned into water like Velachery but still we had enough water logging to keep in to the confines of the house. I was jumping with joy that I got two days of free holiday. Even my friend was overjoyed at the prospect of sitting and watching the cable TV instead watching the same old 'shanians' (losers) at office. Once we knew that a few of our team members had actually turned up in spite of the heavy rains, we had an hour long cursing session about the 'udavakarais' (jobless people) because of whom we were at a disadvantage of losing the 'free holiday'.

This year after me and S got back to UK on a Saturday and Sunday passed in a haze. I was dreading the Monday as I had to be alone in the house, not scared but just scared of being lonely after having spent 2 months with my family and numerous relatives. On that Monday it snowed so heavy that the whole of London was shut off, without any transport...Boy was I happy!.. I am sure most of us are happy to get these freebies and if someone complains about them then either there is something seriously wrong with them or they are just putting up an act.

3 comments:

  1. So which team are you rooting for??
    Your post makes me nostalgic about the passion and love for the game that I once had...somehow over the years, the fervor waned off...
    I guess I should watch the IPL and the other 20-20 versions of the game...the thrill and fast paced nature of these matches may just bring back a semblance of that fervor that I once nurtured for the sport:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So which team are you rooting for??
    Your post makes me nostalgic about the passion and love for the game that I once had...somehow over the years, the fervor waned off...
    I guess I should watch the IPL and the other 20-20 tournaments...the thrill and fast paced nature of these matches may just bring back a semblance of that fervor that I once nurtured for the game :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Priyanaka,

    I am rooting for Chennai Super Kings...You must watch this version of the game.. Its like the fastfood version of the traditional cricket.. quick !! Do let me know who you are rooting for once you start watching.

    ReplyDelete

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape